Saturday, March 21, 2009

Where the Libertarian/Freedom Movement Fails

I am a libertarian. Or, perhaps I should say, “I want to be a libertarian.” That being said, I realize that in writing this post, I will receive much criticism for it.

I have heard many in the Libertarian/Freedom Movement camps use terms like “over my dead body” when referring to the government taking away fundamental freedoms, but a very minute percentage of those who use such terms have sacrificed anything but their own liberty while the government with the aid of large corporations have taken our wealth, health, and freedom. Over the past 2 centuries, our liberties have steadily eroded. Despite the emergence over past half century of libertarianism, freedom movements, and new parties that support a return to our founding principles, the erosion has continued. There has been some very limited success in getting people elected from these groups. Here some reasons why I believe these groups have not succeeded:

  • Sold out/wimped out in defending the small business and individual against the large corporation and government.
  • Stopped defending all of our civil liberties to focus on the “right to bear arms” – forgetting that all of our liberties are needed to survive and prosper.
  • Lay silent as real money (gold and silver coins owned mainly by individuals and small businesses) were stolen by the federal government. (I am referring to a singular event that marked my almost complete loss of faith in the “freedom movement.”)
  • Allowed usurpation by elements of the “Christian Right.” 
  • Allowed a few individuals to act as self-appointed spokespersons/leaders of the “freedom movement” without accountability.

I have been a registered “Libertarian” for the past 20-some years, and I have voted for Libertarians when the choice was available to me. However, I have no faith that Libertarians (or other libertarian groups) will succeed unless they resist the pressure and influence of religious groups, large corporations, charismatic populists, and the government. Libertarians need to be heard defending the individual and small business, holding leaders accountable for their words and actions, rejecting “single issue” groups who want to forward their cause by using the libertarians, and standing against groups who would inject religious viewpoints.

Before Ron Paul supporters begin jumping down my throat, I believe that he was the best hope we have had for restoring our liberties since he last ran on the Libertarian ticket. Unfortunately, the older generation in this country was holding to a false sense of patriotism and gave their vote to McCain. Had Dr. Paul been able to bring that group to support him, I believe Dr. Paul would be our president today.

No comments: