Sunday, May 10, 2009

Cheney’s Postgame Cheerleading

Former Vice President Cheney is still on the circuit defending the indefensible. During an appearance on “Face the Nation” on Sunday, Mr. Cheney that he had no regrets over policies put in place during the Bush administration and is “absolutely convinced we saved thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of lives.”

I am sick of hearing this crap from a man who should be in prison. First, I do not believe that the pro-torture, warrantless wiretap, spying on citizen policies of the Bush administration saved a single life. And, even if it could be proved that lives were saved using these anti-American, unconstitutional techniques, I would rather be less safe and have my freedom than to live in a fascist state. I am not afraid of Al Quaeda or the Taliban or any other terrorist group, so long as I am given the right to defend myself. I am much safer on a plane where pilots can carry weapons than on a plane where there may or may not be a federal marshal on board. I am safer in a mall where there are people who have a license to carry a concealed weapon than I am in a mall where there are unarmed guards. I am safer in a nation that requires that the government take every precaution to protect my liberty than one where it wants the right to use torture and tap my phone without probable cause. The problem in this country is that we are too comfortable. We do not want to sacrifice time, effort, nor money (let alone life or limb) to protect the liberties we now enjoy. The attitude is: “Let them take some of my freedom, just don’t require me to think or expect me to move from this couch.”

No comments: