Thursday, May 21, 2009

Network Magic – No Magic Here

Although I have been using HomeNet Manager on our wireless home network with success for the the past year, I thought I would try Network Magic since we use a Cisco/Linksys Router (WRT54G2), and since Pure Networks has recently come under the Cisco umbrella. I thought that this switch might clear up some minor issues I have had with SingleClick Systems HomeNet Manager. NOT TRUE! I completely uninstalled HNM from all our computers, rebooted and installed Network Magic. The problems were immediate. Network Magic could not identify my router – not a good start. It then could not recognize that Network Magic was installed on the other computers – giving warnings that Network Magic needed to be installed. Finally, it could not access the HP printer connected to one of the computers. I went through the help files to attempt to resolve these issues with no success. I have since reinstalled HomeNet Manager, and things are working once again. No, it’s not perfect, but it is immensely better for our wireless home network than the “magic” of Cisco.

No comments: