Friday, October 03, 2008

Obama's Secret White Constituency

My hometown has fewer than 3000 citizens. The average income is less than $30,000 per year. The economy is hurting here as it is in most areas of the United States. Recently, I have been trying to gauge how people here will be voting in the Presidential Election in November. Although our county is very strongly Republican, I have heard many people quietly talking about supporting Barack Obama. When I say "quietly," I mean that literally. A few days ago, I got into a discussion with an older gentleman about the Presidential election, and when he began talking about his support of Barack Obama, his voice got very quiet and he became very aware of who was around us. There is a very real intimidation from the McCain supporters that is felt by people who live here. Rather than face public ridicule from those McCain supporters, people are quietly supporting Obama. They are not putting up the yard signs or putting bumper stickers on their cars, yet they are secretly but certainly going to vote for Obama/Biden. I am only guessing, but I believe that this "quiet support" exists in many predominantly white rural communities throughout the country. Obama may not have the majority of votes in these areas, but it may well be enough to give him a commanding victory in November.

No comments: