Saturday, June 16, 2007

TSA denies 'sippy cup' mistreatment - Travel News - MSNBC.com

TSA denies 'sippy cup' mistreatment - Travel News - MSNBC.com

From the video shown by MSNBC and Monica Emmerson's version of the incident, you would be convinced that the TSA was in the wrong in this case. However, if you go to the TSA's site and view the full videos and their report, you can plainly see that Ms. Emmerson, after being told to dump out the "sippy cup" simply pours it on the floor. There is no attempt on her part to bring the cup to her mouth to drink the liquid, as she claims. Does this mean that TSA agents do not abuse their authority? NO!

In my own experience, my wife and I were attempting to get through airport security with our young twins, being rushed by being told at least 5 times within a one minute period to "keep the line moving" while trying to keep track of both of our 7 year olds, take off our coats and empty our pockets at the same time. When I was almost to the checkpoint, the agent sitting in his "highchair" told me directly to move more quickly. I became angry and said, "I am trying my best, but we have young children to watch." At this point, I was stopped in the checkpoint, 2 additional TSA agents appeared, and asked if they could take the cowboy boots that I had been wearing. Ten minutes later, the agents appeared with my boots and told me that I could leave. Three people who I do not know were so shocked by what they saw that they offered me their names, addresses and phone numbers to use as witnesses if I decided to file a greivance with the TSA. I never did, but after witnessing several abuses myself since that time, I wish I had. The TSA agents seem to forget that they are public servants working on the taxpayer dollar. Some common courtesy should be afforded us who are at the mercy of their every whim. Using these types of initimidation tactics amounts to martial law.

No comments: