Thursday, September 11, 2008

I HATE THE CREDIT REPORTING AGENCIES

Yes, I really mean hate, as in abhor, cannot tolerate, wish they would disappear. And I mean all three of them: Experian, Equifax, and TransUnion. Why? Oh, let's see...

  • They collect and hold very personal information about me that I never contracted or approved for them to have.
  • They disseminate very personal information about me without my knowledge or approval.
  • They "score" me based on the very personal information about me that they hold.
  • Based on THEIR score I may or may not receive credit or get a job.
  • When they hold and/or disseminate incorrect information about me, they make it EXTREMELY difficult to correct.
  • They charge ME to put a "freeze" on MY information.
  • The time, expense, stress and turmoil that they have caused my family and me cannot be recouped.

Here is our latest experience with Experian. Today, we received a letter from our mortgage company, Countrywide, stating that one of their "former" employees, stole and sold our personal information. They stated that they are working with law enforcement agencies in an attempt to prevent any misuse of the information and are providing a two-year complimentary subscription to Experian's "Triple Advantage" service. OK, that sounds fair enough. There are always unscrupulous people who get into any company and get access to information of which they then take advantage. The problem? Although the letter is addressed to both my wife and I, we were only able to sign up for one subscription that does not allow the addition of a spouse to the account. When we attempted to use the activation code a second time to create an account for the other person, the system would not accept it. When I attempted to call for assistance from Experian, I received a message that they were experiencing a "very high call" volume (no kidding) and that I should attempt my call at another time. They are ALWAYS experiencing a very high call volume. They have NO INTEREST in serving the consumer. Their business comes from companies and corporations that contract their services to keep out so-called "high risk" individuals. Personally, I would love to see these "agencies" shut down - completely put out of business. The harm that they cause the consumer far outweighs any good that they provide to corporations. Are there any brave law firms out their willing to try a "class action" against the Big 3?

No comments: