Monday, August 18, 2008

Mozilla Firefox - The Best Browser?

It seems that ever since Firefox came on the scene back in late 2004, the "experts" of Information Technology have been singing its praises. Although I have wanted a competitor to wipe the floor with Microsoft's Internet Explorer, I still find myself returning to it. Why? Several reasons...

  • It doesn't play nice with media players. I have installed plug-in after plug-in, update after update, and still have difficulty getting media files to simply stream and play consistently when I click on them within Firefox.
  • Adobe's Flash Player behaves badly. I have attempted to view Flash movies, charts, and other content in Firefox with very sporadic results. For example, when I attempt to view an interactive stock chart at Marketwatch.com from within Firefox, I can see it for a couple of seconds. Then it disappears.
  • Secure connections do not always succeed. I have no idea what this is all about, but sometimes I have to load a secure site several times in order to see all the content. No, it has nothing to do with allowing scripts. I have already checked this.
  • I cannot configure the appearance of Firefox easily. I would like to be able to simply drag, drop and resize toolbars and buttons to my liking. I have found no way to do this in Firefox.

Now, some of you might be saying, "Why don't you just install the IE plug-in and use it to view the sites with which you are having difficulty?" I have done that, and in SOME cases it has worked. In others, like the Marketwatch charts issue, it has not. I see no reason why I should use 2 browsers when 1 can accomplish the task. Therefore, unfortunately, I will continue using Internet Explorer because, for me, it is still the best browser.

No comments: