Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Google - the new Microsoft?

What is it with companies that when they reach a certain size, they become almost completely unresponsive to their customers? From my experience, this is exactly what is happening with Google. I recently purchased a license for Google Earth Plus to replace a license that had expired under an old email address. To make the transition to the new subscription easier (or so I thought), I uninstalled the old version of Google Earth and installed the newest version so that I could enter my new license information within the new version. Sounds simple, right? It has been anything but simple. Upon starting the new version of Google Earth, the program attempts to log in using my OLD email address? Why is this happening? I removed the old version. However, there is something within the Windows registry or elsewhere that has maintained a record of my old license and email address. Ok, so I need help in registering the new license in the new program; I, therefore, contact the Google Earth Help Center (anything but "helpful") to find a solution to my problem. I try all of the recommendations within the help files and a couple that I found on the Google Earth Community forums. Nothing is resolved. Next step - try to reach a real person. In most corporations today, this is a daunting process. At Google, it's all but impossible. It took me 15 minutes of searching to finally be led to a form that will supposedly have my problem reviewed by a real person. My prediction - I will be referred to the exact "solutions" within the "Help Files" that I have already tried.

Note to Google - When I purchase a product, and it does not work as expected, I should not have to jump through five hoops simply to contact a real person for assistance. I cannot even begin to express how aggravating this has been for me.

No comments: