Tuesday, August 07, 2007

ATT Wireless Reps LIE

I recently purchased a Samsung Sync, and after having some difficulty locating information about using it as a modem for my laptop, I decided to call AT&T to get the information. However, when I contacted them, the representative told me that I would need to add an additional line of service and would need to purchase a $300+ aircard modem for my laptop in order to have Internet service through AT&T Wireless. After hearing this, I decided that I was not that interested in Internet service through AT&T. However, before giving up on the idea of using the Sync as a modem, I decided to dig into the search engines a bit further. What I found out was that I can indeed have Internet service through AT&T Wireless using the Sync as a modem and WITHOUT purchasing an aircard or an extra line. When the rep told me that I would need another line of service and an aircard, she was telling me a bold-faced lie. Here are the exact steps to follow if you want to use the Sync as a modem. I would like to sincerely thank user "jsm7483" on howardforums.com for providing this information.

Samsung A707 (Sync) Tether Instructions for Windows (this worked on a Sync with Hardware Version Rev 1.4 and Software Version A707UCGD2 through a Bluetooth connection with AT&T's "MediaNet" subscription):
1. Pair your phone either using PC studio or through the Windows Bluetooth Connections Manager
2. Open your Bluetooth Connections Manager (Windows)
3. Click on your phone
4. Click the properties button
5. Open the Services tab
6. Put a check in Dial-Up Networking (DUN)
7. Hit OK to close the phone dialog
8. Hit OK to close the Bluetooth Connections Manager
9. Create a new dialup connection through Dial-Up Networking
10. During your setup it will ask you for some info and also ask you what modem to use to connect with choose Standard Modem Over Bluetooth Link
Now here's the part where I depart for a little
The phone number you need is *99# just like that
The username you need is WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
The password you need is CINGULAR1
11. More Instructions...
12. Go into Control Panel
13. Open the Phone and Modems Control Applet
14. Switch over to the Modems tab
15. Choose standard modem over Bluetooth link
16. Hit the properties button
17. Go to the advanced tab and paste this at+cgdcont=1,"ip","wap.cingular" into your Extra initialization commands box.
18. Startup your new dialup connection and surf

AT&T Wireless should be ashamed of themselves for pushing unnecessary hardware and services. My family and I have been loyal AT&T Wireless -> Cingular -> AT&T Wireless customers for well over a decade. The reason we stayed with AT&T was because of the quality of the care we received in addition to the quality of the products and services. Apparently, we are no longer customers to AT&T. We are now only dollar signs.

No comments: