Sunday, December 10, 2006

James Kim - Wish I Had Known You

James Kim is a hero to me and to countless others who have learned his heartbreaking story. Mr. Kim is the California man who died while trying to find help for his family in the snowy wilderness of Oregon. Wearing only a light winter coat and extra pairs of pants, it is now believed that Mr. Kim walked some 16 miles before succumbing to hunger, exhaustion and the elements. When I first heard this story, Mr. Kim was most likely still alive. They had just located the other members of the Kim family, and when I heard that Mr. Kim had gone out searching for help, I got down on my knees and prayed. As a husband to a fantastic wife and father to 4 wonderful children, I know what was driving Mr. Kim. As we all know now, my prayers and those of so many others were not to be answered for this husband and father of two. It will most likely seem strange to many of you to read this, knowing that I had never met James Kim, but I miss him. I miss him because of the words of his friends and family that testify to his devotion and passion for his family. I miss him because it is always a loss to the world when someone like James Kim leaves us. In case he is able is somehow able to know my thoughts, I want to say, "Thank you." Thank you for loving your family so much that you were willing to pay the ultimate price. Thank you for being the kind of friend that everyone would like to have. Thank you for living a life full of passion and being a person of principle. By doing these things, James Kim, you inspire me to be the same kind of person. You can view CNet's tribute to James Kim here.

No comments: