Saturday, October 15, 2005

Don't Light A Match

Does Anyone Else Smell Gasoline?
Why does everything that contains rubber or metal and manufactured in China smell like gasoline? I first noticed it when we received a free flashlight from Petcare RX for an order we had placed with them. The flashlight had both black rubber and internal metal parts that smelled of gasoline. The odor is so strong that even after allowing it to “air” for a week or so, it still smelled so bad that we put it in our storage shed and have not used it. We also noticed the odor on a small tool kit that I had ordered over the Internet through Publishers Clearing House. The steel tools had a greasy feel to them and the strong odor of gasoline. Most recently, I purchased a chair from Staples. The steel legs had such a strong odor of gasoline to them that I had to allow it to “air” for a week before placing it in my office. So, what’s with these “Made in China” products and their gasoline odor? Do they have so much of the carbon based fuel that they are swimming in it over there? I would be interested to know if anyone else has noticed this problem with products they have purchased. If so, send me an email at diffie1 “at” yahoo.com. I do not wish to make my email address a link for fear of getting spammed by people who use email spider programs to collect email addresses from blogs and other Internet sites.

No comments: